Summer. Is…. Awesome….and… HOT….
– What adjective would you put in there to describe summer? I used to say I was made for summer. But as I am growing older, I am becoming a little more sensitive to the heat. (Now I’m just made for the beach 😉 ) In fact, this past Saturday I had a wedding outside and I burned like a marshmellow that got held over the flame waaaaay too long. Crispy and unappealing. Then to top it off, I got sun poisoning, which was fairly miserable. Suffice it to say that I will not disregard sunscreen so flippantly again. (I hope!)
So how can we use natural alternatives to keep our cool during summer? Let me count the ways ….
1. Peppermint essential oil. Call this your heat 911, because as the temperature rises, you will want this ESSENTIAL in your pocket- whether you’re hiking the trails or sitting on your front porch with a glass of iced tea. Peppermint is very helpful for helping you cool off. So take this oil and put it on the back of your neck and wrists. Ahh cooling. Oh and what’s that? Did you just deter spiders and bugs? You sure did my friend.
2. Speaking of bugs… can I just say that the CDC just took a bow in our direction? That’s right- an article has recently come out reporting that real essential oils are more effective that the chemical-laden sprays like DEET. So take a twirl on the stage, lovers of all things natural, because people are starting to figure it out…. hold their hands and continue to lovingly guide them to the wellness side, ok? And while you’re at it, add some Citronella and Lemongrass to your diffuser, put it on the front porch and enjoy an all-natural critter repellant as you chat with them about the health benefits of nature’s apothecary 😉
3. Aloe. Finding a good aloe is no easy task. Take it from a girl who has been looking. From Amazon to Health CO-OP’s the aloes are filled with PERSERVATIVES. Whaaaat?? We don’t want those in our food OR absorbed in our skin- thanks but not thanks. So what can we do? Best case scenario- the Aloe Plant- super easy to upkeep, affordable and user-friendly. Need some for skin-soothing? Break off a piece, open it, rub it on your skin and then top it off with some Lavender oil to seal the deal. Itch be gone!
4. WATER. Yes, I know what you’re thinking: “Duh Bobbie-jo, of course we need water.” Ok yeah, I know you know. But humor me for a moment because here’s what I’ve been noticing- as it gets hotter, we all tend to go indoors and put on the fans and AC, which is great, except I don’t think we realize how thirsty our bodies are because on the outside we feel nice and cool. Drink your water anyway. And let’s step it up a notch. Did you know that there are essential oils that are FDA approved to put in your water, etc. for wellness? So you could literally keep a bottle of Lemon Vitality essential oil or Lime, Orange, Spearmint, etc and put a drop in your drink. Not only are you refreshing, detoxing your body and reducing cravings but you’re also adding tasty flavor without any calories, sugars or fake sugars! I call that a wellness win (and so does your swimsuit!)
5. And one more thing? Remember how I didn’t put on sunscreen and ended up on my sick bed? Yeah, don’t do that. Use sunscreen. But be smart about it- most sunscreens are actually filled with junk that is really bad for your skin. I encourage you to download the free app from the EWC called “Think Dirty”. You can scan products at home and at the store before you purchase and see if they are safe. (Side note: Can you believe that stores sell things that aren’t safe? We understand that things like Alcohol and Cigarettes aren’t good for us, and most of us will nod in the direction of “you should avoid high fructose corn syrup” but have you considered that your laundry detergent and sunscreen can actually be harming your health too? Get scanning, guys….)
If you want to learn more about natural summer alternatives AND be provided the recipes to make your summer smooth as silk, JOIN ME THIS WEEK ON MAY 28th at 7pm EST ON MY FB PAGE “BOBBIE-JO” WHERE I WILL BE DOING A LIVE STREAM FOR ANYONE, ANYWHERE to learn and receive recipes for wellness- all while in your jammies if you want.
And if you are local to the Roanoke, VA area, get in touch with me- we are getting together for me to teach you all how to make your own organic sunscreens and other summer survival goodies on June 3rd.
As always, keeping it real and really natural,