Wondering what in the world to give to your friends this Christmas? Or maybe to the mailperson? No matter how big or small a part a person may play on the stage of your life, you still want to give them something to let them know you appreciate them. Right?
To me, Christmas is a season of love and giving and remembering the true meaning of our existence – which I believe is about loving God and others. We live in a pretty self-centered society- with a “me first” mentality; look no further than rush hour traffic to see if you agree. People forget that the other people are people too. That is why I personally value Christmas and gift giving. To me it says, “I see you. And you matter to me.”
It doesn’t have to be a huge, expensive gift. In fact, the best ones usually aren’t. Gifts that come from the heart are the things we end up treasuring most, like the Grinch ornament that my husband gave me on our 9th anniversary this year- it was the first Christmas movie he ever watched with me and he never really watched Christmas movies until me, so you can see why it’s special that he remembered that all these years later (major husband points!). ❤
I like to – and try to!- keep it simple around the holidays. In general I would describe my style as simple yet elegant. And that is definitely true of my DIY as well. I keep it simple but it is also classy in that I use only the best ingredients for my DIY’s. My DIY’s are not ingredients from a sale rack – they are researched ingredients that I believe have the best nutrients for your body and mind.
So for the show today with WSLS10, I went over how to make your most basic sugar scrub. My general rule of thumb for sugar scrubs is this: 2 parts solid to 1 part liquid.
Let me show you a few easy ways that you can change up a sugar scrub:
- Switch to Organic, non-GMO Brown Sugar in your recipe- or go half and half! Mmm something about brown sugar always says “Cookies” to me 🙂 Add some vanilla extract and ahhhh, hello Sugar Cookie Scrub.
- Make it a foot scrub! How? Simple. Add some Epsom Salt and Sea Salt to your sugar for extra exfoliation on your dry skin.
- Change the essential oil! Want to relax? Lavender. Sore muscles? Wintergreen. Need a morning wake up? Lemon! The sugar scrub base really is so versatile- I love doing a Peppermint Fresh Foot Scrub near St. Patrick’s Day!
- Turn it into a lip scrub! How? Put it into a smaller container! LOL! 🙂 You can also switch out the coconut oil to almond oil and add a bit ‘o honey for some extra sweet and soft lips 😉
- Try different combinations! Keeping that 2 parts solid to 1 part liquid ratio, experiment! Jojoba oil, avocado oil, olive oil, wheat germ oil, raw sugar, brown sugar, orange essential oil, spearmint essential oil, ylang ylang essential oil – the options are endless!
If you would like to receive some of my favorite scrub combinations, send a FB message to the Mason-Dixon DIY Diva with your email included and I will send my favorite combinations to you for free- my gift to you! Just tell me which ones you try and what you think! 🙂
Have a Holly, Jolly, Christmas!