Summer. Is…. Awesome….and… HOT….
– What adjective would you put in there to describe summer? I used to say I was made for summer. But as I am growing older, I am becoming a little more sensitive to the heat. (Now I’m just made for the beach 😉 ) In fact, this past Saturday I had a wedding outside and I burned like a marshmellow that got held over the flame waaaaay too long. Crispy and unappealing. Then to top it off, I got sun poisoning, which was fairly miserable. Suffice it to say that I will not disregard sunscreen so flippantly again. (I hope!)
So how can we use natural alternatives to keep our cool during summer? Let me count the ways ….
1. Peppermint essential oil. Call this your heat 911, because as the temperature rises, you will want this ESSENTIAL in your pocket- whether you’re hiking the trails or sitting on your front porch with a glass of iced tea. Peppermint is very helpful for helping you cool off. So take this oil and put it on the back of your neck and wrists. Ahh cooling. Oh and what’s that? Did you just deter spiders and bugs? You sure did my friend.
2. Speaking of bugs… can I just say that the CDC just took a bow in our direction? That’s right- an article has recently come out reporting that real essential oils are more effective that the chemical-laden sprays like DEET. So take a twirl on the stage, lovers of all things natural, because people are starting to figure it out…. hold their hands and continue to lovingly guide them to the wellness side, ok? And while you’re at it, add some Citronella and Lemongrass to your diffuser, put it on the front porch and enjoy an all-natural critter repellant as you chat with them about the health benefits of nature’s apothecary 😉
3. Aloe. Finding a good aloe is no easy task. Take it from a girl who has been looking. From Amazon to Health CO-OP’s the aloes are filled with PERSERVATIVES. Whaaaat?? We don’t want those in our food OR absorbed in our skin- thanks but not thanks. So what can we do? Best case scenario- the Aloe Plant- super easy to upkeep, affordable and user-friendly. Need some for skin-soothing? Break off a piece, open it, rub it on your skin and then top it off with some Lavender oil to seal the deal. Itch be gone!
4. WATER. Yes, I know what you’re thinking: “Duh Bobbie-jo, of course we need water.” Ok yeah, I know you know. But humor me for a moment because here’s what I’ve been noticing- as it gets hotter, we all tend to go indoors and put on the fans and AC, which is great, except I don’t think we realize how thirsty our bodies are because on the outside we feel nice and cool. Drink your water anyway. And let’s step it up a notch. Did you know that there are essential oils that are FDA approved to put in your water, etc. for wellness? So you could literally keep a bottle of Lemon Vitality essential oil or Lime, Orange, Spearmint, etc and put a drop in your drink. Not only are you refreshing, detoxing your body and reducing cravings but you’re also adding tasty flavor without any calories, sugars or fake sugars! I call that a wellness win (and so does your swimsuit!)
5. And one more thing? Remember how I didn’t put on sunscreen and ended up on my sick bed? Yeah, don’t do that. Use sunscreen. But be smart about it- most sunscreens are actually filled with junk that is really bad for your skin. I encourage you to download the free app from the EWC called “Think Dirty”. You can scan products at home and at the store before you purchase and see if they are safe. (Side note: Can you believe that stores sell things that aren’t safe? We understand that things like Alcohol and Cigarettes aren’t good for us, and most of us will nod in the direction of “you should avoid high fructose corn syrup” but have you considered that your laundry detergent and sunscreen can actually be harming your health too? Get scanning, guys….)
If you want to learn more about natural summer alternatives AND be provided the recipes to make your summer smooth as silk, JOIN ME THIS WEEK ON MAY 28th at 7pm EST ON MY FB PAGE “BOBBIE-JO” WHERE I WILL BE DOING A LIVE STREAM FOR ANYONE, ANYWHERE to learn and receive recipes for wellness- all while in your jammies if you want.
And if you are local to the Roanoke, VA area, get in touch with me- we are getting together for me to teach you all how to make your own organic sunscreens and other summer survival goodies on June 3rd.
As always, keeping it real and really natural,
OK guys, I am a DIY enthusiast. The problem is- I’m not crafty. I don’t see Pintrest ideas and think “I could do that.” Because I can’t. I’m not being a downer- I just know my skill level. And if requires cutting wood, painting, or pressing and sealing ANYTHING, I’m out. But here’s what I can do. I can cook and I can create just by “eyeballing” something. And I can make one mean soap. That’s right. I am a Soap Queen. As soon as someone told me that there was a hot process and a cold process soap, I said, “Oh, I can do that.” And so I did. I don’t want to brag but some people call me the Soap Master. (Okay, not really. But they could if they really wanted to 😉 )
So have you tried my SOAP???? Today I am going to give you the top five reasons why you have got to try my soap!
TOP 5 REASONS WHY YOU HAVE TO TRY MY SOAP:
1. You can custom-tailor your ingredients to your needs. It is so fun to mix your own ingredients and choose what YOU want to go into that bar that will soon be slathered all over your bod! Dry skin? Lavender and Shear Butter! Oily skin? Lemon! Itchy skin? Oatmeal and Frankincense!
2. You can AVOID harmful ingredients! Did you know that your skin is your biggest organ? And that you LITERALLY consume everything you put on it? Think of a medicine patch or nicotine patch placed on the arm. How is it absorbed? That’s right- through the skin. I’m sure you’ve heard the debates about Phthalates, Sodium Lauryl Sulfates, Petrolatum, and Fragrance (a very vague word indeed). What if we could avoid all this mess by simply making our own instead?? We would no longer have to wonder if it is linked to cancer, respiratory health issues, reproductive health issues, excessive aging of the skin, etc. – we could just NOT USE IT!
3. Satisfaction. There is something so satisfying about knowing you did something amazing. You made soap for yourself/your family and you know it is the best of the best. AND YOU DID IT. Satisfaction.
4. They sky is the limit! You can have soap parties with your friends, you can choose anything you want to put in your soap, you can go organic and you can tint your soap with natural ingredients instead of… Red #40? Yellow #6? Did I mention you can add coffee as an exfoliator? Mix that with some real peppermint and what have you got? An amazing peppermint mocha. Excuse me while I go take a shower 😉 OH and did I mention how SOFT AND SILKY you will feel afterward… real ingredients are the best!!!
5. Wellness! Ask anyone who is not well what they would do/give to have their health back and what do you think they’d say? I think they would give most anything.
Ok. So am I saying that soap can help you stay well? I am saying that we have already seen studies that show links to ingredients in our toiletries making people sick- FDA banning an antiseptic in soaps, Johnson & Johnson getting sued for 20 Million for their baby powder… and losing. Yes, I am saying that there is substantial evidence that our products and the ingredients in them can lead to 20 Million dollars worth of health problems. So…. let’s make soap.